Thursday, October 3, 2013

Selfishness

So I talked about love...let's talk about being selfish.
Have you ever thought of yourself being...selfish?
Well if you only care about yourself more than others, avoid doing things for others, think about what's best for you...
I think you get where I'm going here.
If it's about about you, your problems, your opinion, your time, and so then you are or have been selfish.
I'm not trying to say don't think about yourself. You should and make sure that you're taking care of yourself.
Although...are there times that you feel like you're the only one struggling and/or dealing with a difficult situation and you want someone to have pity on you?
Or do encounter people you choose not to interact with for the simple fact their "different", "weird", or just not like you? Both situations make you selfish as well.

Why are we so selfish? Well it is apart of our sinful nature. We like to think about ourselves and have no consideration or compassion for others. Hence, why selfishness is the opposite of love. Love is about caring, being kind, patient, etc, while selfishness is being prideful, hurtful, inconsiderate, etc.
It's so easy to think about our needs, times, and likes.

It doesn't matter if someone else who is in pain needs my comfort because I'm hurt too, so someone should come comfort me!
I can do whatever I want and it doesn't effect anyone. I don't have to care if does affect anyone else or not. It's not their business/problem.
I don't want to talk to him/her because he/she is not like me. I don't talk to those who creep me out or just seem different. I don't want to be bothered.
I could on, but you know what I'm talking about, so now what?
What are you going to do so you're so so selfish? Again it is so easy to think about you and your circumstances, there's no need or time to think about anything/one else. You don't care because it's all about you.

If you're a follower of Christ, He(God) has called you to be better than that and it is all throughout His Word! Start taking the time to think about the someone else. Think about how you can used in another person's life. You may find that be helping someone else out, your own issues get resolved.Also think about the things you do that could affect others. When you sin that doesn't just affect you, but all those you are around.

Pray to the Lord about helping you not focus so much on yourself in a way that causes you to shut out other people and make you further away from His presence. Start praying for others and not always about yourself. Put the needs of others before yours.

You can do it. Start to love!

Philippians 2:3 

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

James 3:14-16 

But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice

Proverbs 18:1 

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment